For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 2 Corinthians 5:14-15

Monday, April 8, 2013

Have you forgotten from where you came?

I think sometimes we, as Christians, can truly forget we have not always been a Christian. No one is born a Christian. Born in a Christian home, maybe, but not born a Christian.

I think, because I was not born or raised in a Christian home, I have a different perspective. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with my past at all and it's just the way the good Lord made me. I don't know everything, LOL!

Anyway, I heard a story in church this past Sunday that truly made me cringe. Our pastor was talking about how, when some people get saved, it's the very people who should be rejoicing (fellow Christians) who are the ones acting mad. Can you believe it?! He gave the example of a man who surrendered his life to Christ and started bringing people to church with him. The church-goers were not happy about this. Why? Because the newcomers were bikers, possible ex-drug users. You know....those people.

It's funny how people like to classify sin as if the sins of others are always worse than our own sins. Really people? Have you forgotten from where you came? Because my Bible says ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Um, that word ALL includes you and me. Yep. We came short of God's glory. We didn't measure up. We might not be rough and tough bikers, or street-smart prostitutes in miniskirts with our junk hanging out, or meth addicts stealing to support our habit....but our sin separated US from the Father just the same.

May we remember that when a tattooed biker from the baddest biker gang comes in to church. If he has repented, God has forgiven him the same way He forgave me and you, friends. 

May we remember that when a new lady comes to church in a dress we think is too short, too tight, too sexy. Of course there's a proper way to dress and we don't want to encourage that, but how do we know that's not the best dress she owns? Hey, we might be glad she chose that dress and not one of her others, LOL! And usually we aren't mad that she's not dressed holy enough, we're paranoid that our husbands might be checking her out. I say the blood of Jesus was certainly enough to cover her sins, too, don't you think? Who cares that just last week she was working on the street corner. Go up and give that lady a big smile and a warm hug. We let people know by our actions that we are super glad to have her visit our church and let her know the Holy Spirit comes to our church, too. Let these people SEE Jesus in US so they will want to return to our church. We show them this by showing them He has changed us, not into Christians who go to church every Sunday, but PEOPLE who love others. People who REJOICE when we get a new brother and sister in the Lord.

NO ONE is beyond redemption because they used to be this or used to be that. We, my friends, were once sinners, too, separated from God due to our exceedingly sinful selves. Praise His holy name, Christ crucified and resurrected saved my sins, your sins and the sins of those kind of people...who ever those kind of people may be. May we rejoice when we hear that the devil will have one less soul with him in hell. Hallelujah!

For His glory alone!
genesis

3 comments:

  1. So true! Reminds me of Luke 7:47. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, that was my comment above. Accidentally chose "anonymous" the first time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, Luke 7:47 is one of my very favorite verses and that story is also one of my favorites, of course. I truly believe that when we realize how very sinful we used to be before knowing Him, and realize that He loved us enough to die for US, for people like US...then we will love and serve Him with SUCH a passion that others might not understand...until they experience it. Wow.
    By the way, I forgot to mention in the post that the title of this entry is not how I generally speak, but it's what the Lord laid on my heart, so I titled it just the way He spoke it to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete